Thursday, September 13, 2012

Aoki - Possibly the best meal ever in Singapore

Someone very nice took us out to dinner at Aoki recently - and this gets my vote for my best meal ever, in Singapore. It was an amazing meal, and looking at the photos (which I do often) always makes me hungry.

We started with edamame

Which was great with sake - the first of 2 bottles. I have no idea what we drank but it was GOOD.
Gingko nuts in a seaweed basket that was edibleIka shiokara, or fermented squid. This was very strong tasting - nice in small quantities, but it wasn't something that I would order again.

This had to be the sweetest, juiciest, tastiest, freshest tomato on the entire island. Amazing dipped in a bit of salt.
Shiro ebi - white shrimp mixed with uni and caviar. DIVINE.
We got one sea urchin for each of us. To be eaten with a teaspoon. Died and went to heaven, and came straight back for the next course.When this plate was set in front of us, I couldn't believe my eyes.
Beautiful, beautiful black truffles shavings. Over a lot of white fish sashimi.
This was glorious - the truffles were very delicate in flavour, and I loved the truffle infused oil- not quite the standard truffle oil, I have no idea what it was. Then a serve of sashimi. We enjoyed the otoro and hotate. The ebi was super fresh and sweet as well.
View from my seatA fresh oyster with ponzu sauce - I had to pass this to the husband given my new-found allergy to raw oysters *sobs*
Grilled fish - I believe this was bream
Anago sushi - absolutely beautiful
The ikura was as good as ever, flavoured delicately with little specks of some leaf or fruit peel...some say it's yuzu but it looked to me like some shiso leaf thing.
This was the dish that made me weep with joy. I really didn't want to blog about this - after all, some special experiences must be kept private. This dish was so good I wanted to post a photo on facebook immediately, and yet was torn, since mass knowledge would cheapen the experience. Anyway - here it is. A grilled beef bowl, with truffles and a lightly poached egg on top of wonderfully sticky warm rice.


The beef wasn't even wagyu - it came from some less well-known prefecture, and was seared to medium perfection. It would have been brilliant even without the truffles.


After digging down a bit more, we found the poached egg. The combination of half-cooked egg, succulent beef and truffle on rice was unbelievable. I'm hungry just writing this out.

The trio of pineapple sorbet, green tea ice cream and I can't recall what the last one was - sesame? But the best was yet to come.

We headed next door for a cheese platter - this was the entire selection on the trolley and I did not recognise a single name. What eventually ended up on our tableWith Les Amis chocs to end the meal
And the most amazing madeline and chocolate coated frozen bananaPlus port and reisling.

2 comments:

  1. how much was the beef, truffles and egg rice? was that from the lunch or dinner menu?

    ReplyDelete